Use our resignation letter example if you are planning to leave your job. There are a few things to consider when writing your resign letter. Check out our tips before doing anything else.
Resignation Letter Writing Tips
If you have ever resigned from a job in the past, you know that the second you hand in your letter of resignation that you are being watched; that is if you are not escorted out first. Regardless of how your last hours are spent at the company, be sure to leave with class. You always wanted to be remembered as a professional. Leaving on bad terms could prompt the company to give you a bad reference in the future.
Listed below are some of the things that you should and should not do when resigning from a job.
- Always prepare in advance for your resignation. You need to get all of your personal property out of your office, as well as all of your personal files deleted from your computer. Do this in advance in case you are locked out of your office, or your computer passwords get changed.
- Give the appropriate two weeks notice. Most companies appreciate this gesture, and like to have your resignation in writing. Remember to never jeopardize your new position by sticking around at the old one too long.
- Offer to help in whatever way possible. You may be able to assist in finding someone to replace you, or help train a new employee.
- Ask for letters of recommendation so that you can use them in the future. This does not always work, especially if your employer is angered that you are leaving.
- Never resign from your position until you have another one lined up. It is not easy to take back a resignation.
- Never criticize the company you are leaving. There is no reason to bad mouth anyone at your former company. Just go about your daily routine until your time is up.
- Counteroffers are tricky use your judgment and experience about the management to decide if you can accept or not. Remember that you are leaving the company for a reason in the first place.
- Do not take anything that does not belong to you, not even a pen or pencil!
Relocating Resignation Letter Example
Dear Mr./Ms. Manager’s Name
I would like to inform you that I am officially tendering my resignation from Company Name effective Date of Resignation.
My wife/husband will be relocating to New Location from Date of Resignation.
I never thought that I would ever leave this organization. I have greatly enjoyed my time here and will do my best to complete current projects in time.
Thanks again for everything.
cc: HR Manager