What is a Targeted CV format?
A Targeted CV is a skills-based CV format. These formats can be useful if you’re looking for a career change. This is because they focus on your transferable skills and experience, rather than job titles, companies, and how long ago you got the experience.
It’s called a Targeted CV because you use it to aim for a specific type of job. You only include details that are relevant to the job you’re applying for. These could be listed in two separate sections: abilities and achievements.
What’s the difference between abilities and achievements?
Abilities are natural or acquired skills or talents. You can provide specific details of the abilities and examples of when you’ve used them. For example, writing is a skill, but just listing ‘writing skills’ isn’t specific and doesn’t give an employer an indication of when and how you’ve used these skills.
An achievement is accomplishing something. Don’t confuse responsibilities with achievements – they are different. Achievements are unique to you; responsibilities are what anybody undertaking that role would do. Achievements can make you stand out from others who may have similar skills and experience.
For example, a responsibility could be:
Whereas, an achievement could be:
If your achievements are measurable (they saved you or the company money or time) then try and include details of this too.
What are the pros and cons?
You might like to use a Targeted CV format if you:
Drawbacks with Targeted CVs can include:
Example Targeted CV
Adam Bowers 109a Any Road, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, Post Code
Your email @ Tel: 0123456789
With 20 years experience in the construction industry as a labourer, bricklayer and plant operator, combined with practical, hands-on experience in carpentry and electrics. Physically fit with a good head for heights. Precise, accurate and a flexible worker. Currently seeking construction work in the UK or overseas.
- Assisting various tradespersons such as carpenters, plasterers, electricians and plumbers with site duties
- Concreting – layering and smoothing concrete for foundations, floors and beams
- Roadworking – concreting, laying kerbs, paving and re-surfacing
- Groundworking – marking out and digging shallow trenches for foundations and drains
- Dry lining – fixing internal plasterboard or wallboard partitions ready for decorating
- Awareness of on-site health and safety, especially when working at heights and carrying loads
- Knowledge of small build to large scale construction projects
- Confident in driving earth moving bulldozers, dumper trucks and compactors.
- Selected to travel overseas with a previous employer to work on the construction of a new hospital in France, which at the time was behind schedule, ultimately helping to bring it in within budget and on time
- Achieved On-Site Safety Award for commitment to health and safety
- Worked voluntarily every weekend for three months to help build a local community centre, taking on-site supervisor responsibilities
- Regularly support local football club with groundwork duties, relaying a new pitch prior to the start of the new football season and assisting with maintenance throughout the year.
2018 – 2020 General Labourer/Plant Operator Thomas Construction
2017 – 2018 Bricklayer GBH & Sons Builders
2016 – 2017 Various construction roles Smith and Weston in Europe, USA and Africa
2015 – 2016 Bricklayer Barns Homes Ltd
2013 – 2014 Various construction roles Green’s Employment Agency
2012 – 2013 Apprentice Electrician Barnetts Electricals
2010 – 2011 Apprentice Joiner Jones and Haywood
Qualifications and Training
Construction Skills Certification Card (CSCS) – construction site health and safety certificate after successfully completing the Experienced Worker – Practical Assessment (EWPA)
Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) – in-date licence to drive construction plant machinery
City & Guilds (6217-08) Basic Construction Skills: Multi-crafts
Fork Lift Truck Licence
Full UK Driving.
I regularly work out and I am a member of a local gym. I play for my local football team and also enjoy outdoor activities, including fishing and diving.
toResign.com has thousands of career documents including Resignation Letters, CV Examples, Cover Letters, Job Application Forms and more…